Lamb Curry - lamb stewed in aromatic spices for a succulent and tender texture with a flavourful, rich and unforgettable taste.


There was an Indian family from my neighborhood in my little hometown back in Penang and I especially liked to visit them often during school breaks.  It was the aroma of spices from their house that invited me.  Amma prepared everything from scratch to make curries and manually too; roasting spices to grinding them and chillies on an old fashioned grinding stone.  She would also grate her own coconut and use a muslin cloth to squeeze out pure unadulterated coconut milk.  I was very much fascinated with her old fashioned coconut grater and I would offer to help whenever I saw her breaking coconuts.  It was fun as I felt like I was horse riding as I sat on the wooden seat holding the coconut over the grater but of course I did successfully grate everything properly!  

I guess some of that exposure has stuck with me and I roast and grind my own spices now too but have it easier though with my electric grinder.  I measure and seal them in packs of appropriate portions to freeze.  However, I do buy commercially prepared ones during emergencies and as for grated coconut and its milk, they are both easily available for purchase. I have put together and experimented with different types of curries and today will be sharing one of them with you and that is Lamb Curry.

Lamb Curry
Ingredients A
800g lamb shoulder (excess fat trimmed)
10g cinnamon stick
6 cloves
4 star anise
2 sprigs curry leaves
2 tbsp oil
150 ml thick coconut milk
1 tbsp lime juice
1 tsp salt
  • Chop lamb into reasonably big cubes / chunks.
Ingredients B
100g shallots
4 pips garlic
20g ginger
  • Peel skins and finely chop together in a food processor.
Ingredients C
3 tbsp ground coriander seeds
1 tbsp ground cumin (jintan putih)
1 tbsp fennel seeds (jintan manis)
1 tsp ground black peppercorns
1 tsp turmeric powder
1 tbsp chilli powder
  • Mix all together
Ingredients D
250g ripe tomatoes
1 cup water
  • Slice tomatoes into wedges and puree with the water.
How to cook
  1. Saute cinnamon, star anise, cloves and curry leaves in heated oil over medium low heat for 1/2 minute or until aromatic.
  2. Add (B) and stir fry over medium high heat until lightly browned and aromatic.
  3. Stir in lamb and fry for 2 minutes.  Mix in (C) and stir fry for 3 minutes or until aromatic and a little oil breaks through.
  4. Add (D) and bring to a boil.  Cover and simmer over low heat for 1 hour.  Stir to prevent sticking to the bottom towards the last 10 minutes.
  5. Uncover, add coconut milk and bring to a boil over high heat.  Add lime juice, cover, turn heat to low and continue to simmer for 15 minutes or until meat is tender.  Stir at intervals.
  6. Add salt and simmer for another 5 minutes.
  7. Serve with bread or rice.
** Mutton can be used but simmer for extra 10 minutes or more before adding coconut milk.  The meat is tougher since it comes from adult sheep.





~Kim~









Introduction to Herbs, Spices and Ingredients to spice up your foods and cause your taste buds to encounter a tantalising and unforgettable experience.

Herbs, Spices and Ingredients Whenever I go to the market, the galore of foodstuffs never fail to make me amazed by God's provi...