Beef and Pineapple Stew - a special tasty stew to whet appetites.


Pineapples are in abundant supply in my country all year round. Why not make full use of these refreshingly juicy, sweet and sour fruit since they are so conveniently and easily available at anytime? I questioned this to myself sometime ago and that resulted in them gaining a place in my cart each time I do my marketing and sort of elevated to PR status in my home.

I am sure there are also many of you who like pineapples just as much as I do, given their deliciousness and usefulness. Their many uses include eaten fresh, juiced, in salads, made into jams and desserts, tenderise tough cuts of meat and in various baked and cooked recipes. I will be sharing one of my beef recipes which is stewed beef with pineapple today. It is a new recipe which I created recently and is easy to prepare and cook; tasty enough as well to stimulate the appetite. Choose a good, fresh pineapple that is of common grade and inexpensive. That will do for cooking. Do not get one that is green or over ripe.


Beef and Pineapple Stew
500g stew beef
300g half ripened pineapple (after discarding skin and eyes)
100g carrot
30g cilantro/coriander
5 birdseye chillies (more or less)
30g garlic
50g shallots
10g fresh ginger
10g fresh turmeric
1 lemongrass
400ml water
1 tbsp peanut oil
1 tsp fish sauce
Salt to taste

Preparation

  • Dice beef, pineapple and carrot into bite sized pieces.
  • Separate coriander leaves from stems. Roughly chop each.
  • Discard stalks from chillies and break into halves. Shake off loose seeds. 
  • Lightly crush garlic and discard skins.
  • Peel shallots and slice thinly.
  • Scrape ginger and turmeric skins and slice thinly.
  • Discard dried outer leaves, root end and top of lemongrass. Use only the bulbous part.

How to cook
  1. Saute garlic, shallots, ginger, turmeric and crushed lemongrass in heated oil for one minute.
  2. Add beef and fry for about two minutes over high heat.
  3. Pour in water and bring to a boil. Add chopped coriander stems, cover and simmer for one hour over low heat.
  4. Mix in carrot and pineapple pieces. Cover again and continue to simmer for another forty minutes or until beef is tender.
  5. Add fish sauce, salt to taste and chopped coriander leaves. Cook for two minutes over high heat and remove from heat.
  6. Serve with rice (4 to 5 pax).
** When I have vegetable soup as one of the side dishes, I will then make a dry version. Use less water and adjust the seasonings.








~Kim~







Introduction to Herbs, Spices and Ingredients to spice up your foods and cause your taste buds to encounter a tantalising and unforgettable experience.

Herbs, Spices and Ingredients Whenever I go to the market, the galore of foodstuffs never fail to make me amazed by God's provi...