- Remove skin, cuttlebone, eyes, beaks, entrails and ink sac from squids. Wash thoroughly and squeeze excess water. Slice each squid into four rings.
- Slice fresh chillies, shallots, garlic and turmeric into small pieces and blend together with dried chillies and some water in a food processor or blender until fine.
- Remove dried outer layers of lemongrass and trim away the top and ends of the stalks leaving behind 12cm of the bulbous part. Crush with the flat side of a cleaver or rolling pin.
- Slice bilimbi into 1cm width.
- Heat oil and saute blended ingredients for a few minutes. Then add lemongrass, shrimp paste and continue to fry over medium low heat until a little oil breaks through and is fragrant.
- Mix in squids, bilimbi and stir for two minutes over medium high heat.
- Add hot water, cover and simmer until cooked.
- Uncover and season with salt.
- Discard lemongrass and serve.
~ Kim ~