"I'm Popeye the Sailor Man. I'm Popeye the Sailor Man. I'm strong to the finish cos I eat me Spinach. I'm Popeye the Sailor Man." Singing this jingle may delight the child and work to get a few mouthfuls in but poor mom will wish for the child to finish the whole bowl. I hope this soup will contribute to that wish. I have created this recipe with pureed spinach and the cheese is portioned not to make it overpowering. It is easy and tasty enough for children to begin to develop a liking for this precious vegetable. It is also great for adults who have difficulty chewing, swallowing and digesting and for those who want something light and nutritious after workouts. In a nutshell, this soup is great for all ages.
200g spinach (roots and dried leaves discarded)
2 pips garlic
2 thin slices ginger
1 sprig flat leaf parsley
2 tbsp ground brown rice
50g mozarella cheese
2 cups water
1 tbsp light olive oil
1/2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1/2 tsp salt or less
- Finely mince garlic, shallot and ginger.
- Slice tomato into wedges.
- Roughly chop spinach and parsley stems. Finely mince parsley leaves.
- Blend tomato, chopped spinach and parsley stems with some water into a puree.
- Saute minced garlic, shallot and ginger in light olive oil over medium low heat for one minute.
- Add ground rice and stir for about two minutes.
- Pour in pureed spinach mixture and remaining water. Bring to a boil, turn heat to low and simmer uncovered for eight minutes. Stir at intervals to prevent lumps from forming and to keep soup smooth.
- Stir in cheese, extra virgin olive oil, minced parsley leaves and salt for one minute.
- Serve hot.