800g lamb shoulder (excess fat trimmed)
10g cinnamon stick
4 star anise
2 sprigs curry leaves
2 tbsp oil
150 ml thick coconut milk
1 tbsp lime juice
1 tsp salt
- Chop lamb into reasonably big cubes / chunks.
- Peel skins and finely chop together in a food processor.
- Mix all together
- Slice tomatoes into wedges and puree with the water.
- Saute cinnamon, star anise, cloves and curry leaves in heated oil over medium low heat for 1/2 minute or until aromatic.
- Add (B) and stir fry over medium high heat until lightly browned and aromatic.
- Stir in lamb and fry for 2 minutes. Mix in (C) and stir fry for 3 minutes or until aromatic and a little oil breaks through.
- Add (D) and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer over low heat for 1 hour. Stir to prevent sticking to the bottom towards the last 10 minutes.
- Uncover, add coconut milk and bring to a boil over high heat. Add lime juice, cover, turn heat to low and continue to simmer for 15 minutes or until meat is tender. Stir at intervals.
- Add salt and simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Serve with bread or rice.