This reminds me of my school days. Have you ever made fun of classmates during your school days by giving them nicknames and those of vegetables? I have and there was a season when together with my group, we nicknamed our classmates as Long Bean, Pumpkin and Rotten Chilli, etc. Sounds unkind but surprisingly were taken in stride as a joke and received our fair share of nicknames in return. Thankfully, we managed to outgrow that childish season shortly after.
- Remove the heads and shells of shrimps. There is no need to devein as they are small sized.
- Slice beans into 1 inch lengths.
- Mince the garlic and shallots.
- Slice onion into 12 wedges, remove root ends and separate into pieces.
- Saute minced garlic and shallots in heated oil until aromatic and lightly browned.
- Add beans, shrimps, chilli powder and stir a few times to mix over high heat.
- Add water, give it a stir and then mix in onions, fish sauce and salt.
- Quickly stir fry until cooked; beans should be cooked but crunchy and shrimps not overcooked. Dish out onto a plate and serve with rice.