400g ripe tomatoes
260g fresh red chillies
40g lengkuas / galangal
20g fresh turmeric
4 stalks serai / lemon grass bulbous stalks
40g belachan / shrimp paste (opt)
2 tbsp tamarind pulp or lime juice
2 cups water
3 tbsp coconut or peanut oil
Salt to taste
- Skin, wash and cut chicken into pieces. If using drumsticks, leave whole.
- Quarter the tomatoes.
- Peel and slice shallots, galangal and turmeric into small pieces. Slice chillies and blend together in food processor or blender with a little water until fine.
- Remove the dried outer layer of the lemongrass stalks, slice 12cm from the bulbous ends and crush them with flat part of cleaver or rolling pin.
- Extract the juice from tamarind pulp with half of the water and repeat with remaining half.
How to cook
- Heat a stainless steel wok or curry pot and drizzle oil over the bottom part. Gently pour in blended mix and add the lemongrass and shrimp paste. Stir fry until a little oil separates and fragrant.
- Add chicken and continue to stir fry for a few minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes, tamarind juice and bring to boil.
- Lower heat and simmer until chicken is cooked and sauce thickened.
- Season with salt and remove the lemongrass.
** Serve with rice or bread.
~ Kim ~