For fragrance, I use pandan leaves (pandanus) and pea flowers for color. Both are naturally sweet and lend some sweetness to the rice.
How to make fragrant blue rice
2 cups mix whole grain rice
2 1/2 cups water
Handful of pea flowers
4 pandan leaves
1. Bring water to boil and stir in flowers. Remove from heat and allow to steep.
3. Wash and spread rice evenly in tray.
4. Remove the flowers and pour the water (blue coloured from flowers) over rice.
5. Place tray into a steamer of boiling water and steam over high heat for 20 minutes.
6. Continue steaming for 15 minutes over medium heat.
7. Uncover, stir and check for doneness. Add extra water if needed and continue steaming until cooked and fluffy.
** Can be cooked in rice cooker. Adjust water accordingly.
~ Kim ~