Make a supply of this Pickled Salmon, keep in the refrigerator and have it to fall on for those busy days when too tired to cook but do not want to eat out. Secondly, this is perfect for parties as a filling for barquettes, crepes, dainty sandwiches and tortillas. Make it a few days earlier and just fill them on the day itself. A plus for stress free preparation. Lastly but not the least, it is packed with nutrients. Just the other day, I was in a situation when I just wanted something simple and yet nutritious and I was glad when I thought about my supply of Pickled Salmon in the refrigerator!
I used to make my own bread but not now. Thankfully, there is a trusted bakery nearby to cater to my needs. However, that day I was at another place and saw a bakery and decided to see what they had. To my delight, their wheat bran boule was just out of their oven, looked and smelled inviting too and I said 'Yes'! Came home later and made the sandwich as below. Nothing dainty but satisfying enough with a choice of biting into it as an open or closed sandwich.
- Put water to boil in a steamer. When boiling, place salmon in the steaming tray and steam over high heat for 8 minutes or until cooked. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly. Flake with a fork and check further to thoroughly remove any stray bones. Set aside the liquid from steamed fish to use as sauce.
- Mix 1 tsp salt with the flaked salmon, sprinkle the other 1 tsp salt over, cover and set aside while preparing the other ingredients.
- Wash ginger and turmeric, scrap away skin and mince finely.
- Peel garlic and onion and mince finely.
- Remove seeds from green chilli and chop finely.
- Wash jicama or pear, peel the skin and dice finely.
- Mix all together.
2 tbsp ground brown rice or rice flour
3/4 cup water & liquid from steamed fish
4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 tsp light soya sauce
1 tbsp rice vinegar
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp honey
2 tsp or more chilli powder or paste
- Bring the 3/4 cup water to boil in a saucepan and stir in ground rice. Simmer for 1/2 minute, remove from stove, leave to cool and then mix everything together.
- Mix A and B together with a fork.
- Pour sauce over and mix thoroughly.
- Use accordingly or transfer to a sterilised glassware, well covered and store on top shelf of the refrigerator.