Stuffed Aubergine / Brinjal
150g ground or minced pork
3 pips garlic (finely minced)
1 tbsp finely chopped green onions/spring onions
a big pinch of freshly ground white pepper
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp cornflour
- Mix all together thoroughly with a fork and set aside.
- Give the anchovies a brief rinse and leave on paper towels to absorb moisture.
- Mix 2 cups water with 1 tsp salt. Slice aubergine diagonally and thickly. Make 10 pieces. Make an incision in the middle of each piece. Soak in the salted water to prevent discolouration.
- Stuff pork filling deep into each incised piece and smooth over the top with the back of a spoon. Dip the spoon in the salted water as you work.
- Heat enough oil to shallow fry the stuffed pieces until golden brown.
- Discard most of the oil leaving behind a little and remove any burnt bits. Saute anchovies until lightly browned. Add garlic and leeks and saute over high heat for another minute. Scoop out, cool slightly and puree in a tall blender with 1 cup water.
- Bring the pureed mixture to a boil. Add fried aubergine and simmer for a few minutes or until cooked. Season with salt (optional).
- Add chopped green onions and serve hot.