Here's the recipe:
300g glutinous rice
1 tsp turmeric powder
1 small piece tamarind peel
12 white peppercorns - crushed finely
A big pinch of salt
6 slices fresh turmeric
150ml coconut milk
2 pandanus leaves
Banana leaves (opt)
** Tamarind peel can be substituted with 1 tsp lime juice.
How to make
- Mix rice, turmeric powder, water and tamarind peel and soak for 5-6 hours.
- Line a steaming tray with banana leaves.
- Shred each pandanus leaf lengthwise into three, tie into knots and place in tray with turmeric slices.
- Drain rice, mix with peppercorns, salt and spread evenly in tray.
- Pour 100ml coconut milk over rice, place tray in steamer of boiling water and steam over high heat for 20 minutes.
- Remove tray, add remaining 50ml coconut milk and mix the rice together gently with chopsticks or fork.
- Place back in steamer and continue steaming for 8 to 10 minutes over medium heat until cooked and fluffy.
- Discard pandanus leaves and turmeric slices and serve with curry or sambal.
** Turmeric has healing properties and aids in alleviating inflammation and pains.
Caution: May react to certain medication. Avoid excessive consumption.
~ Kim ~