Sun Dried Tomatoes are surely one up on fresh tomatoes in terms of flavour. The salty, slightly sweet and sour dried tomatoes gives depth to any dish without having to add too many seasonings. Moreover, their intense flavour makes it unnecessary to go overboard with them in recipes. Besides that, their decent shelf life enables good storage for convenience whenever needed. They are indeed a plus to have in any kitchen. There are slightly yellow ones but I prefer those that are red and loosely packed (thanks for these lovely ones, Swee) over oil packed ones or others so that I can use them in anyway that I like.
Instead of cooking the usual creamy sauce with basil or other herbs for the spaghetti, I decided to make a lightly fried dish the other day. The last bit of celery was still looking good in the refrigerator. There were prawns in the freezer and when coupled with the dried tomatoes, complemented each other very well. Thrown in together with other ingredients, the dish became fusion leaning towards the Asian taste that was just great.
I usually cook extra to reserve some for the next day; an instant homemade noodles as a snack to fill those hunger pangs! Reheating in the microwave oven makes it so easy. However, because of second helpings nothing much is left over each time. Anyway, for those who are keeping leftovers but do not like to use the microwave oven to reheat, boil a little water on the stove, stir in the noodles briefly, remove from heat and add parmesan cheese. And there you go!
Sun Dried Tomatoes with Prawns and Spaghetti
400g cooked wholewheat spaghetti ( boiled according to package instructions)
40g sun dried tomatoes
500g medium or small prawns
30g green/spring onion
1 fresh red chilli
Shredded lettuce according to preference
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp fish sauce
1/4 tsp salt or less
3 tbsp light olive oil
- Slice thinly or roughly chop tomatoes.
- Marinate prawns with pepper.
- Julienne celery and onion.
- Slice green onion into 3 cm lengths.
- Mince the garlic.
- Discard seeds from chilli and mince.
- Saute garlic and tomatoes in heated oil over medium low heat for 2 minutes.
- Stir in prawns. Cook over medium high heat until 3/4 cooked.
- Add celery, chilli, onion and fry for 2 minutes.
- Add spaghetti, green onion, lettuce, fish sauce and salt. Stir and toss to mix.
- Dish out onto a serving platter. Serves 3 to 4 pax.